Tribal Tattoo Forum Forum Index Tribal Tattoo Forum
Polynesian and other tribal tattoo

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Album

James Cook and the Discovery of the South Seas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tribal Tattoo Forum Forum Index -> Anything but tattoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
punani

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: James Cook and the Discovery of the South Seas Reply with quote

i have something to share....
ive been at this exhibition last week in vienna.

http://www.khm.at/en/kunsthistorisches-museum/exhibitions/current/james-cook-an-the-discovery-of-the-south-seas/

Quote:
it includes around 500 items presenting the voyages of Captain Cook and the international team of scientists and artists accompanying him. Their work during the European enlightenment period contributed new insights to a host of disciplines from navigation and astronomy to natural history, philosophy and art.
It even led to the birth of a new science: the field of ethnology and ethnography.

its been really interesting.
i saw ancient necklaces made out of human hair, feathers, shark-teeth. all kinds of instruments, mascs, clothes … from hawaii, french polynesia ...

i even bought the book called "tattooing in the marquesas"
MantaRay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!...Now that is an impressive traveling exhibit, Carmen...Getting an opportunity to view and learn about 500 items of Polynesian history in Central Europe...How cool is that?!...Plus you acquire a great book on Marquesan Tattooing...You Go Girl!

BTW, if you ever return to the Hawaiian Islands, you gotta check out the Bishop Museum on Oahu..Keone Nunes just did a Hawaiian Tattoo workshop on the grounds of the museum a couple of days ago...My cousin went to see the workshop and she said it was very fascinating and informative...

Bishop Museum
punani

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you ray, that sounds very interesting too. i wanna go there right now ; )
as you can see theres so much more to see on planet earth and id love come back to hawaii soon. actually my friends invited me to kauaii but this is kinda rescheduled.

i miss the smell of the flowers so bad!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tribal Tattoo Forum Forum Index -> Anything but tattoo All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: